Skip to content

Glyndwr vs Chester 2nds – The Big Derby

By Connor Hughes, Egwyl Contributor

Starting line up:

Forwards: Kristian Frantz-Morgans, Hayden Emitt-Bird, Elliot Duff, Stefan Meixner,         David Johns, Tom Cogneville, Nik Jones, Matt Shaw (C),

Backs: Tristan Ashley, Jamie Luckett (VC), Afoke Obukofe, Ethan Prosser, Simon Thomet, Antoine Courson Bourcier, Matthew Connolly

Replacements: Mike Heinrich, Chris Pritch

Wrexham Glyndwr Rugby were hosts to Chester 2nds this week for the second match of the season, it promised to be a very heated encounter between the two sides. From kick off, both teams were hitting hard, struggling to gain ground on one another, keeping the play very central in the field. The first points of the match were awarded to Chester following a penalty under the posts, seven minutes played and Glyndwr down 3-0.


Photography: Emma Tattum

Hitting back quickly Kristian Frantz-Morgans with some powerful ground gaining runs, bumping off multiple opposition players before being brought down 22 meters out. Both teams fighting over ground, coming to a halt with a penalty being awarded to the home team. This was unsuccessfully converted keeping the score 3-0 to Chester. 24 minutes played and Chester were first to start the scoring with an unconverted try making the score 8-0. Minutes later Chester got back into try scoring territory actually carrying the ball over the line but being successfully ripped out of the hand of the player over the try line by Vice Captain Jamie Luckett to prevent Chester scoring another. First half ending on a high for Chester with another unconverted try being scored with seconds to go before the half time whistle.

Half time score Chester 13-0 Glyndwr.

After what could only be described as a powerful half time talk from Matt Shaw, captain, Glyndwr scored 3 tries in quick succession early on at the hands of Elliot Duff, Ethan Prosser and replacement Chris Pritch who also converted his own try. Within 10 minutes of the second half starting Glyndwr had turned the game on its head, now leading 17-13. With a penalty later scored by Chris Pritch taking the lead to 20-13.

Kara Picture 2

Photography: Kara Beth Davies

Chester scored yet another unconverted try bringing them within 2 points, minutes from the end of the first half. A mistake by one of Glyndwr players meant they were reduced down to 14 men for the remainder due to a yellow card, from a deliberate knock on.

Glyndwr were fighting hard and showing their resilience to keep Chester at bay and see the match out. This, however, did not go to the home sides advantage with Chester using the extra player they had to power past Glyndwr.

Final score, 25 – 20 to Chester.

Kara Picture 3

Photo: Kara Beth Davies

After the match, Glyndwr player, Ethan Prosser, said: “It was a hard fought match and a very good fight from both sides. I don’t feel that the score truly reflected our performance on the field. Good luck to Chester for their future games and we look forward to the rematch”.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: