Skip to content

Dragons Come Out on Top Against Hawks

By Alex Whilding, Egwyl Contributer | Alexwxm99

Wrexham came in to the game as stern favourites against the struggling opposition.

It didn’t take long for Wrexham to assert their authority with Jordan Maguire-Drew bursting in to the box and hitting the bar from close in.

Ten minutes in Maguire-Drew hit the bar again from just outside the area.

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 17.02.50.png

Wrexham dominate first half

There were numerous exchanges from the two sides, both taking calculated approaches for most of the first half.

It took Wrexham until the half hour mark to take the lead. Rekil Pyke cut inside on to his favoured right foot and placed it in to the back of the net. That’s Pyke’s fourth goal of the season.

Havant responded with possibly their best chance of the game with Lewis hitting narrowly wide.

39 minuets, in Jordan Maguire-Drew was involved again, the ball was cut back to him he hit it straight at the goalkeeper.

Just seconds later, Summerfield floated a corner into the Havant box the keeper couldn’t collect. The ball fell to Pearson, who couldn’t get his shot away, Havant somehow got the ball out of the area.

Wrexham continued to create chances and work the Havant keeper Dudzinski. Until the half time break.

A solid half from Wrexham, who dominated the majority of it, but unlucky not to be further ahead.

Wrexham struggled to get going at the start of the second half with Havant having a lot of possession. Despite this, Stuart Beavon went close just five minuets after the break.

Robinson nearly got Havant back in the game with a powerful shot that whistled past Lainton’s goal.

On the hour mark, Jordan Maguire-Drew, with a great run down the wing, crossed the ball into Pyke who forced a save from Dudzinski.

Pyke was involved again when he forced an unbelievable save from the Havant keeper with 20 minuets left.

The Havant response was a double substitution that saw Lewis and Sekajja to be replaced by Cosgrave and Pavey. Shortly after Jordan Maguire-Drew made way for Paul Rutherford for Wrexham. Instantly after, Havant made their final change with Harris going off with Strungnell coming on. Ricketts made his second change with under 10 minuets left when Akil Wright replaced Brad Walker.

With just four minutes left Huggins had the highlight of the half nearly equalising for Havant by heading just over. That prompted Ricketts to make his last roll of the dice bringing Deverdics on for Beavon.

A hard thought three points for Sam Ricketts’ men.

In the post match press conference, Sam Rickets, Manager, said: “We’re in a really good place and were playing well.”

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 17.13.51

Post match press conference

Attendance: 4323
Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington, Walker, Summerfield, Young, Pyke, Beavon and Maguire-Drew.
Subs: Dibble, Rutherford, Deverdics, Wright and Tharme
Havant: Dudzinski, Stock, Woodford, Harris, Lewis, Kabamba, Tarbuck, Huggings, Robinson, Sekajja and Cordner.
Subs: Strungell, Pavy, Cosgrave, Rose and Robinson



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: