Editor’s Festive Top 10, Amy & Emma
By the Egwyl team
It’s that time of year again, it’s time to dig out the blankets, put the heating on, watch a movie and indulge in all the sweet treats of christmas.
Here at Egywl we’ve been in the festive spirit for a while now so, we though we’d share some of our christmas cheer with you! Here are the editor’s top 10 of the most wonderful time of the year.
10) Decorating – In my house it’s a tradition to decorate the tree on December 1st as a family but, first comes the dreaded trip into the loft to get the decorations down! Every year it’s seems more and more like a Christmas shop up there!
9) The endless amount of chocolate, sweets and biscuits – “It’s Christmas”, is the excuse that will be heard all around the world this December. If you can’t treat yourself to some yummy treats this time of year then when can you?! Celebrations are the biggest hit in my house although it’s always the bountys and snickers left without fail!
8) The Sales – You have to love a good Boxing Day sale! Every year I sit in the comfort of my own home and binge buy online! A tonne of new bath bombs are a must!
7) Christmas Eve PJs – Ever since I can remember, it’s been a tradition to be given brand new cosy PJs on Christmas Eve in preperation for the big day!
6) Time Off – As you get older, you begin to appreciate the little more at Christmas such as time off! No more lectures, no work, just time with your family and a chance to relax. What more could you ask for?!
5)The Magic of the 25th – People say that the older you get, the less Christmas starts to mean to you but, I completely disagree. You start to appreciate things so much more and the magical feeling of the 25th will always be around, no matter how young or how old you are.
4) It’s a Wonderful Life – Another Christmas eve tradition, as a family we all sit down on the evening of the 24th with a tub of celebrations and watch ‘It’s a wonderful life’. If you haven’t seen it, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! A brilliant movie with such an amazing christmas message behind it.
3) Home Alone – It’s on non stop all year yet when it comes to the festive season you just HAVE to watch it! Yes, of course I’m talking about Home Alone, the ‘friends’ of the movie world, we’re all seen it multiple times, yet we all watch it when it’s on.
2) Christmas Dinner – What can I say? The best dinner of the year by far! Even as I’m writing this now, I’m dreading of that dinner! Less than 2 weeks to go.
1) Family! – We all lead such busy lives these days that it becomes impossible to get to see all your family on a regular basis, that’s why this time of year is the perfect timing to get everyone together for a good old catch up. Nothing beats it!
10) Advent calendars – Whether you have a chocolate filled one or (if you’re a bit strange like me) a chocolate-less one just with pretty pictures, there’s something very satisfying about opening a tiny door every morning to find out what’s inside.
9) Home Alone 2 – By far the best of the Home Alone series. A big fancy hotel in New York…at Christmas time! What more do you need?!
8) Elf – Another fantastic Christmas film. I absolutely adore Elf; it never fails to me absolutely cry with laughter. And here’s a bonus festive fact for you! Did you know that the big fight scene between Elf and Santa was filmed in one take?! I know!
7) Kirstie’s Homemade Christmas – Or any Kirstie Allsopp Christmas craft programme for that matter. I cannot get enough of craft and homemade goodies, so that combined with Christmas is absolute heaven for me. Plus, the fact that it’s presented by Kirstie Allsopp, one of my favourite people and major role models is a bonus.
6) Decorations – There’s nothing better than whacking on some of your favourite Christmas songs and transforming your home into a winter wonderland, if only for a short while.
5) Christmas eve pyjamas – One of our annual traditions. You just have to have some festive pyjamas specially picked out for Christmas Eve.
4) Old Christmas Songs – The best kind of Christmas songs. Give me Wham! and Mariah Carey over Justin Bieber and Cruz Beckham any day of the week.
3) Presents! – I’d be lying if I said presents didn’t matter to me at Christmas time, but it’s definitely quality over quantity. It really is the thought that counts.
2) Seeing family and friends – This one covers New Year as well. One of my favourite things is heading over to my friend’s house for a couple of days for a New Year partay.
1) The fact that it’s colder! – I don’t know about you, but I cannot stand hot weather. It’s icky and gross. I’d much rather wrap up in cardigans, hats and scarves. Besides, you never see any clothing quite as extravagant as the Christmas jumper at any other time of the year. Ten out of ten for Winter.